Wednesday 25 December 2019

pcb design - Mains to low voltage seperation between FR4 PCB layers


I cannot find clear information on running mains and low voltage on adjacent layers on FR4 PCBs. I understand how much creepage distance to allow, but for example, can I run - 50Vdc, 240Vac, 0Vac, ground, on a 4 layer 1.6mm FR4 PCB. Would it be more appropriate to use a 6layer pcb, leaving blank layers between 50V/240Vac/0Vac?


Could someone point me to a standard on this? I have had not much luck with Kervill's Low Voltage Directive.




Answer



This is information you get from the datasheet of the prepreg/laminate you use. Example here from Isola: http://www.isola-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IS420-Lead%C2%ADfree-Laminate-and-Prepreg-Data-Sheet-Isola.pdf


This specific material datasheet show something like 30 kV isolation per mm material layer to layer.


If you rely on this, make sure the material is fully specified in the PCB fab drawing.


Also note you can pretty much count on the laminate thickness, but the Cu traces will sink into the prepreg effectively reducing the resulting layer to layer distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...