Sunday 29 December 2019

Sensing BLDC motor torque using a current sensor



As it is commonly known, the torque supplied by a motor is directly proportional to the current it draws. So when a motor is under heavy load, the torque required will be more hence it would draw more current


For a BLDC motor, the current is supplied via three phases which are switch by a motor driver. But this motor driver is supplied with a single DC supply.


Can I reliably measure the torque provided by my motor by measuring the current drawn by the driver?


My motor is currently mounted as part of a robotic arm and there is PID control loop for position control.


I only need to get an idea of the current load and detect load anomalies (like an impact i.e. higher load or loss of payload i.e. lower load etc).


Given that I can calculate the nominal load at any position and hence calculate the nominal current drawn, is it a good idea to use current sensing for this kind of load sensing?


Is there any research on this which analyses this method of torque control/load sensing which I can refer to?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...