Sunday 15 December 2019

raspberry pi - Ethernet to SPI converter Differential line importance?


I hope someone can shed some light in this, I am laying out a Ethernet to PI zero HAT and will be using the enc28j60 controller from microchip. People have reported getting 2.8mbps up and down speed on average with cheap modules form china with same chip.


My question is will impedance matching and differential parts make a big difference on traces 14.20 mm in length?



  • Copper 0.035mm T


  • Trace width 15 mil

  • trace <> trace space 4 mil

  • FR 4 material

  • 1.55mm thick

  • 2 Layer


When I do the impedance matching and calculations this will give me 107 Ohm Differential.


Or will I be better off just running normal routes and adding O ohm resistors in-line just in case there is a problem?
Example of matched traces enter image description here


Example of unmatched traces enter image description here




Answer



At 10 Mbps (which is, if I recall correctly, the only line rate that those chips support) you don't even have to bother with getting the impedance right due to the length of the traces. Just route it differentially and don't bother with the length matching. And don't add resistors, that's not how you fix a bad impedance match - for that you need either a re-spin with fixed dimensions or a matching network.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI&#39;s cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...