Wednesday 4 December 2019

baudrate - Does Bluetooth range increase with lower baud rate?


I am using two Bluetooth dongles for an Arduino project of mine. I am only sending a single int over the connection so it does not need to have a high baud rate.


If I use a baud rate of 1200 will I be able to have more range than if I were to use something such as 115200?




Answer



In my experience, radio modules usually have 2 different baud rates:



  • UART baud rate is the baud rate for communicating to microcontroller on the board. Usually, it's adjustable.

  • Over-the-air baud rate is the baud rate for communicating via Bluetooth. It's usually fixed.


I've searched through the user manual and datasheet for RN-41, which is the Bluetooth module inside the dongle. I didn't find any indication that over-the-air baud rate is adjustable in this module.


So, I doubt that you will get more range if you configure the baud rate down to 1200.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...