Sunday 1 September 2019

gain - Positive feedback and unstability


In Wikipedia's positive feedback article it is stated that given the closed loop gain $$A=\frac{a}{1-af}$$ the system is unstable if \$af>1\$.


I don't really get this. If \$a=10\$ and \$f=0.5\$ (just to give a very simple example), I just see that \$af>1\$ but \$A=-2.5\$, which is not infinite. So what is really happening here?


I know that a system is unstable if the transfer function (i.e. the gain in Laplace domain) has poles in the right-half complex plane. But here, \$A\$ would be a constant so I don't see why unstability would occur.


This question arised when I was trying to analyze a Schmitt trigger using feedback. Quantitavely, I see why the output will go to saturation voltages. I just don't see it mathematically. Suppose that the Op-Amp was ideal (so it has infinite gain and it doesn't depend on frequency). Then why would, mathematically, anything diverge in this circuit, if \$A=\frac{-1}{f}\$ which is a finite value? That's the question that led me to thinking about positive feedback and unstability in general.


To sum up:



  • Why is positive feedback often related to unstability?


  • Why does \$af>1\$ imply that a system is unstable if using positive feedback?



Answer



Simple answer: The open-loop gain of a=10 indicates a non-inverting (positive) amplifier. However, after applying feedback with af>1 the formula gives a resulting gain A which is NEGATIVE. Did you expect such a result?


For af<1 the gain A is - as expected - still positive; and for af=1 it goes (theoretically) to infinite values (stability limit). That means: For af>1 the amplifier is already "beyond" the stability limit. Hence, you were not allowed to apply the (linear) gain formula for af>1.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI&#39;s cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...