Saturday 3 August 2019

switches - Low voltage drop transistor/mosfet switch - 3.3V 200mA



I need to make a switch. However p-n junction drop seems to be a problem for my use. Hence I am unable to use something like this:


Switch


In this case, my load won't be getting exact 3.3V across it. Straight forward method will be to use a mechanical relay, but I want to avoid through hole and bulky components. In fact, I want to make it as cheap and small as possible - probably a few resistors, transistors or a small mosfet is what I am planning to use. Is there any good solution to such a requirement?


Edit:


Load requirement:


3.2V i.e. a drop of 0.1V will work fine. Current will be approximately 200 mA.


As answered by Olin and highlighted out by JRE, a FET definitely solves my problem.



Answer



A FET should be able to do this. Of course without knowing how much voltage drop you can tolerate and what the load current is, it is impossible to say for sure. You can easily get a small FET that goes down to a few 10s of mΩ in a small SOT-23 package. Check out the IRLML2502. You can get lower on resistance by spending more money, like getting a more exotic FET or putting multiple of them in parallel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...