Friday 23 August 2019

stability - Can there be "too much" capacitance on a buck regulator output?


I've an MPM3610 buck regulator module with an integrated inductor of 0.47 µH and a fixed internal compensation. It employs constant-on-time regulation. The datasheet gives some application circuits with a ceramic input and output capacitors of only 10 µF.


According to common knowledge (which may be misleading..) more capacitance on the output will reduce output voltage ripple. However, I've no idea how the stability will be affected.


Since I've got quite some space left on my PCB I wonder how much extra capacitance I should reasonably add, taking into account the reduction of effective capacitance due to DC bias effects.





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...