Saturday 10 August 2019

pcb - Assigning mechanical layers in Altium


I've just recently started designing my first PCB using Altium but am confused with the mechanical layers. I have a 4-layer board, and am placing components on both the top and bottom side (Through right-clicking and settings the component layer). This properly assigns the pad, solder, and overlay to the layer I choose, and if I go to 3-d view everything looks right.


However, I've noticed that both the courtyard and the body information (layers 13 & 15 by default) for each side were put on the same mechanical layer. So I enabled their respective pairs (layers 14, and 16), and configured them to be pairs of the already existing layers. But I'm not sure how to actually assign the bottom layer components to have their courtyard/body information on these new layers. I've tried setting them to the top layer, and then back to the bottom layer to see if now that I've configured the new mechanical layers it would just automatically assign them to those, but that was not the case. How do I do this?




Answer



Hopefully I understood what you are trying to do.


You have to create a mechanical pair.


With a PCB open click Design Board Layers and Colors (Shortcut: L)


In the bottom left corner, you'll see a Layer Pairs Button. Click it.


Add your layer pairs together (like Mechanical 14 and Mechanical 30).


That's it.


Now when you switch components between layers, the items on the mechanical 14 will switch to mechanical 30 and vice versa.


I'll try and add some images and format this answer to be a bit more clear later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...