Saturday 30 March 2019

heatsink - What is the best way to heat sink a chip when soldering it on?


I generally like to solder sockets to my boards, rather than the chip directly, but am now forced to solder the chips directly. I have several DIP and SMD components that this needs to be done with.


I am concerned that the heat from soldering them might damage the chips so was wondering how I could heat sink them? Is this even necessary?


It doesn't apply to me right now, but how is this done with other packages?



Answer



I have used these tips to get started with SMD soldering. Until now I have not found it necessary to drain heat as long as you mind where you put the soldering iron tip and don't apply heat any longer than needed.


http://www.infidigm.net/articles/solder/ - The second article is better, see comments


PS: This article may help as well, it seems to be quite good:



http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=36&page=1


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...