Sunday 24 March 2019

Some questions from a first PCB design attempt


This is my first PCB design ever and I used DesignSpark's PCB software.


After simulating in LTspice I've drawn it in schematics as:


enter image description here


And converted to a two layer PCB and manually routed. Here is the PCB: enter image description here


enter image description here


Finally I checked with "Design Rule Check" of this software and according to the software: the design has no error now. First I had Drill Backoff errors. I had to make power tracks thinner.


I have many questions regarding the procedure but here is some of them:



1-) How does the software decide the trace widths, I didnt even set any currents. Or should I ask: How can I set the track widths here? I checked with LTspice and the max currents on the power supply's GND and power supply's Vcc as 5mA. How should I set the track widths here? If I set the widths randomly how can I know the PCB machine will be able to make it??


2-) I'm not using any surface mount components. Do I really need solder mask?


3-) Do I need copper pour or ground plane? I work with frequencies less than 1000Hz.


Again I cannot find answers to these details on basic tutorials. I would be glad to have your input or suggestions.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...