Wednesday 27 March 2019

arduino - Can I write a bootloader to Atmega using serial port


There is a really grand price difference between an empty Atmega328 chip and the one with the Arduino bootloader installed. In my country, this difference is 1:3. This means that uploading bootloader manually would save me a lot of money, while this operation takes about 5 minutes altogether.
I've heard (but not read) about the possibility to make an Arduino upload the bootloader on another Atmega. This has at least 2 disadvantages:



  1. You need to have one Arduino first.

  2. You must turn that arduino into programing device - so you cannot have fun with it.

  3. The process will be hard to control until some advanced techniques are implemented (control leds, start button)



I own a few old PCs with standard real serial port and I also have a USB to serial converter.



  • Is there any chance to create a little PCB that connects dirrectly to a PC and would serve to upload the bootloader to the chip?

  • Is it thinkable for me, to create an application for this in C++? (I'm a begginer, but I don't give up fast) Or does it already exist?

  • Could you please provide links to any tutorials concerning this matter?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...