Monday 18 March 2019

arduino - Detect touches on a surface


What can I use to recognize if a surface in touched or not? What kind of sensor I need to do this?


I want to detect if an object is on the table or the object touch and go out.


I'm using Arduino board.


Any idea?


Edit: My object is a ball and my surface is a 4 person kitchen wood table.



Answer



Arduino has a Capsense library. If your object is not metallic then it can be the perfect answer. Its cheap and easy to make too. You just need two arduino pins, few high value registers,aluminum foil and some capacitors.



This thing works on the principle that the aluminum foil works as a capacitor and combined with resistor it charges in time equal to the RC time constant. You send a signal to one of the pin and wait to get the signal of second pin. As a human being starts to put their hand close to it the time constant changes and you can detect that see if a human being is near by.


Here is a link to the arduino library.


EDIT Sorry I think I was hasty in posting. This is only applicable if you are detecting humans or anything that imitates human skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...