Saturday 16 March 2019

Can inductor voltage and capacitor current change abruptly?


I understand that inductor current and capacitor voltage cannot change abruptly, but can inductor voltage and capacitor current change abruptly?


I have a feeling the answer is no but I cannot explain why.



Answer



In an ideal world, where a capacitor has no series inductance and an inductor has no parallel capacitance, and voltage and current sources can provide voltages and currents with a step-shaped profile, the current into a capacitor and the voltage over an inductor can change abruptly.


Not that this ideal world is an mathematical abstraction, you can't buy such components.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...