Sunday 29 July 2018

precision - op amp+mosfet = current source.Why do we need a feedback resistor?


The feedback resistor is needed to compensate for the error of the input currents? How to choose the resistance R2.


Circuit source


enter image description here


Resistor R2.


Can I use this circuit, op-amp with differential input voltage range = +/- 0.6V? I'm not sure. I think not



Answer



R2 (10k R4 in my diagram) is there to form together with C1 (1nF capacitor) a Miller Integrator to prevent unwanted oscillation. And yes, this circuit will sometimes oscillate, mainly due to poor PCB/breadboard design. And here you have a real world example (the breadboard one).


Without the Miller capacitance: circuit diagram and trace showing oscillation



And after I add the Miller capacitance into the circuit: Circuit diagram and trace, this time showing flat output


http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits_Audio_Amp/Miller_Integrator/Miller_Integrator.htm


EDIT


Today I test this circuit again. And the result are: For RG = 0 Ohms; RF = 10k Ohms without Miller capacitance circuit oscillate (I_load from 1mA to 1A).


enter image description here


But surprise surprise If I short RF (10K) resistor the oscillations magically disappear (even if RG = 1K ohms).


enter image description here


So, it seems that the main cause of a oscillation in my circuit was a feedback resistor. I suspect that RF together with opamp input capacitance and some parasitic capacitance add a pole (lag) to the circuit and the circuit start to oscillate.
I even change the opamp to "much faster one" (TL071).And results was almost the same except the fact that he frequency of oscillations was much higher (713kHz).


enter image description here



No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...