Wednesday 18 July 2018

9V battery and resistor are connected in series - the voltage across the resistor is < 9V. Why?


I am taking my first steps into learning about electronics as a hobbyist and I am struggling to understand something about resistance. I have read about Ohm's law and it seems fairly straightforward so I set up a simple circuit on http://123d.circuits.io.


This circuit consists of a 9V battery and a single resistor (10 Ohms) with its leads connect directly to the 9V battery.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


When I place the probes of their simulated voltmeter across the leads of the resistor, it reads 7.83V. I can't make any permutation of Ohm's law produce that result. What would be the expected voltage across the resistor? Based on other posts on this site, I would expect the voltage to be 9V. I don't know how that simulator (123D) calculates its values or how it simulates the circuit.


I am sure that I am missing something fundamental but so far I haven't figured out what.


Is the 123D circuit simulator right? Should there be only 7.83V across that resistor?


I set up a similar circuit (using CircuitLab) and it seemed to show that the voltage would be 9V. So I am confused. Is this just an inaccuracy of the 123D's simulator?


Can someone help me to clear the fog?




Answer



They are simulating a (more or less) real 9V battery. They've modeled the battery as an ideal voltage source of 9V with a series resistance of ~1.5 ohms.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


If you work this out, the current is 9V/(11.5 ohms) = 0.783A, so the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor must be 7.83V.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI&#39;s cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...