Wednesday 18 July 2018

Braking a motor with power transistors


I am running 2 DC motors with 3 SN754410's: each motor gets one half of each bridge. Everywhere I look I see that pulling both logic inputs low with the enable high should brake the motor by shorting its leads together. However, when I measure the resistance between the two motor power leads (motor disconnected) with the enable high and both logic inputs low, I get a resistance of 60 Ohms. The H-bridges are otherwise functional


Accordingly, I am attempting to implement an alternative brake. I have some of these (http://www.vishay.com/docs/91217/91217.pdf) 30A power transistors lying around. Could I use them to brake my motor by putting one from each motor lead to GND (see below for setup when I want to brake) and turning them on when I want to brake?



schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


I am not using a relay as they are too slow for my code: I get shorts through the bridges when the bridges turn on but my relays have not finished switching.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...