Friday 3 November 2017

arduino - Controlling NMOS gate switch with PMOS


The goal of the circuit below is to use a PMOS to turn an NMOS on and off which will blink the LED. A microcontroller is providing the square signal. Both MOSFETs are logic level and when I use them individually with the LED the behavior is what I expect. However in the circuit below when I send 5V to the gate of the PMOS the LED will just remain ON, but I expect it to turn off. Is it incorrect to wire the drain of a PMOS to the gate of an NMOS?


enter image description here



Answer



You need a drain resistor on the gate of M1. And by drain, I mean from the gate to ground.


The gate has a capacitance that needs to be drained off or the channel will remain open. Select a resistor size that will drain that in the order of magnitude of time that is reasonable for your application.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...