Monday 27 November 2017

Selecting capacitor for voltage-divider of half-bridge high power SMPS



How to dimension the capacitor for the voltage-divider of a half-bridge high power (>5KW) SMPS power supply?


The question is more on type of capacitor and current rating than the capacitance.


I have read some projects using electrolytic capacitors, even some computer power supply uses this approach and the capacitors are the DC Link ones too!


But as I know this is not a good choice, its better to use polymer, right?


But if you are lucky enough to find the manufacturer specifications, it's difficult to get any info about the current the capacitor will support. Some papers says that's this is based mostly on dissipation of the capacitor, I have even made an spreadsheet to calculate that dissipation, I will post if necessary, but I didn't know if this is the way to go.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...