Saturday 25 November 2017

ethernet - What ultimately determines the speed of electrical media



I have heard several myths about this. Some have said "thicker wires mean faster speed" which I don't believe. Others have said different voltages and others have said higher frequencies.


Take Coax for example. Several years ago connections of 5mbit/sec were common, now today I am starting to see 100mbit/sec connections over the same physical medium of 5 years. Same goes with twisted pair (cat5e vs cat6), one can now get 10Gbit/sec over copper. DSL vs 56k. Once again these are the same physical medium yet ADSL is sufficiently faster.


With that being said why are cable (coax) speeds always faster than DSL speeds (twisted pair)?


My question is essentially what determines the limits of speed of any particular physical medium




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...