Wednesday 19 July 2017

ac - What is the type of this legacy motor and how is it supposed to be controlled?


A friend of mine is going to give me an old Dayton 8F047 which I would like to recycle, but it is now obsolete and I cannot find anything other than a schematic which is reproduced below.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


It looks like a separately excited DC motor aka "universal motor", which also works with AC, and I'd just need to wire the auxiliary and main windings in series to make it work I think. I assume the start switch (which is really illustrated like that...) is a physical external button (please shout if it is an internal component essential to how it works), but I can't make sense of the so-called "protector" (which is illustrated as a circle) which is in the way of the main winding, so I'm confused now. I don't want to try things randomly and burn it...


I found this and that on the internet, but I don't know how grounding either end of the auxiliary without supplying it with any power can change its direction, and I don't know what's inside the UL Limit.


What is this type of motor and how am I supposed to control it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...