Saturday 8 July 2017

Interfacing an optoisolator with arduino


I recently bought this optoisolator (datasheet PDF). I am wondering how I can connect it to my Arduino. I have some ideas, but I am afraid to test them because I might damage the board.


What I am trying to do is to connect and disconnect a circuit. What should I connect to the pins on the breakout board? The pins are labeled:




  • OUT1

  • HV

  • OUT2

  • HVG

  • NC

  • IN1

  • IN2

  • GND



and the schematic is here.



Answer



According to the schematic, there are current limiting resistors in place (R1 and R2) so you can just connect your Arduinos outputs directly to IN1 and IN2, and it's ground to GND.


The rest of the connections are for the isolated side (marked "noisy system" in the schematic) so you connect your separate power supply (the one you want isolated from the Arduino) to HV (V+), and HVG (ground - not the same ground as Arduino) and the signals come from OUT1 and OUT2. If your isolated supply is e.g +15V, then your signals will be from ~0V min to +15V max (assuming digital signals)


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...