Wednesday 17 May 2017

Is there a minimum output current for voltage regulators?


I need both 4.5V and 3.3V for a project, and my idea was to power it using a single battery and a voltage regulator. A regulator I found (MCP1700) has an output current of 200 mA, but I'm only going to pull 3-4 mA. Is that large difference a problem in any way? I couldn't find that information in the data sheet.



Answer



Note this line in your datasheet:


enter image description here


There's no minimum load current, but if the load current is below 100 uA, there's no guarantee how well the regulator will be able to maintain the output voltage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...