Thursday 18 May 2017

Shaded pole motor speed control


I've recently been given a 24W 230VAC 2 pole shaded pole motor(Mellor Electric AC1004) to make a fan out of. This fan needs to have a variable output speed depending on the temperature of the room. I am quite new to motors and was wondering how to make the motor speed variable. I have done some research and seen that by just varying the voltage the speed can be reduced, however I believe this is not the best way to go about this. I've also seen people use Triac based dimmers in order to accomplish the same thing as well as VFD's but they are quite expensive(VFD's) and i don't think they are suitable to this. I would like some input as to what method would be best. Thanks.



Answer



Voltage-only control of a Shaded Pole (SP) motor is an acceptable method and is the most common. It doesn't work on other types of AC motors, but because of some of the inherent design aspects of what make a SP motor work in the first place, the torque / speed relationship is more or less linear, or can be made to appear so. The point is, you CAN use a single phase output VFD if you have money to burn, but a "dimmer switch" works fine and will not hurt that motor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...