Monday 22 May 2017

fpga - Scope probe having ringing with 10x option


I did a bit of a search in the forum but despite there being a few related topics related I couldn't find the specific answer for this question.



Using a 50Mz scope I connected the probe to an FPGA output pin where there's an output of a 3.3Vp@25MHz square wave signal. I did make sure to connect the grounds as short as possible and close to that clock signal.


Using 1x and 10x scope probe options I got the following results:


1x probe: oscilloscope screen showing roughly a sine wave shape 10x probe: oscilloscope screen showing a square wave with ringing


Well, for the 1x I think that I'm getting attenuation given by the low pass filter of the 50MHz scope for a 25MHz signal, and that could explain as well why the signal is not square and the amplitude is lower...


But the part I don't understand is the result of the 10x option: why is that ringing happening? And why is it so different to the 1x?


Obviously that overshooting is causing that the signal to increase the amplitude to 5.39Vp...




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...