Thursday 25 May 2017

camera - Where can I find a fast (1KHz) LCD plate?



I'm not looking for a graphic or text LCD display here, just essentially a single, large pixel, capable of going from dark-light-dark in under 1ms. The faster, the better.


The idea is to create a secondary shutter for a still camera, increasing the flash sync speed of the camera. Here's a video of a similar idea, but on a CMOS video camera. Seems like they're using a pane from a pair of 3d shutter glasses, which operate at video speeds (60 or 120 hz, not fast enough.)


Something like the panel in an auto-darkening welding helmet would be along the lines of what I need, providing they can also transition from dark-light at high speeds.


What are these called? What can I search for (LCD panel obviously doesn't help)? Where might I be able to find one? (Aside from hacking apart a welding helmet.)



Answer



What you're looking for sounds like an LCD shutter, specifically a Pi Cell LCD Shutter. The more modern welding helmets use the TN LCD Shutters which have the same slower speeds as 3D shutter glasses. From what I've read the Pi Cell LCD Shutters can have a switching speed of up to 1000Hz.


Liquid Crystal Technologies claim they'll send you a free 1"x1" or 4"x1.5" TN LCD shutter or a 1"x1.5" pi cell shutter. The pi cell shutter will be the faster one. I've never needed an LCD shutter, so I can't verify anything any company claims about theirs, but free is certainly worth a try if you can get them to send you one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...