Wednesday 22 February 2017

Flyback diode requirements


Obviously reverse voltage has to be higher than V+, but are there specific requirements regarding speed and current? Is a 1N400x fast enough? What about a 1N4148?


edit
The question is a general one, but I can pick a relay to make it more specific: the Takamisawa 24SMB is a 24V relay with a coil resistance of \$1000 \Omega\$.



Answer




I confirm that 1N4148 is generally ok for this task, and still have some safety margin (from the peak current prospective). Many people use 1N4148 with even more powerful(=higher coil current) relays without any issues.


Schottky diode could be used here, but it is an overkill.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...