Saturday 25 February 2017

oscilloscope - How should I probe the primary side of a SMPS?


I need to probe the primary side of an SMPS in for repair. This side is not mains isolated, and could be hot/live, at around 330V.


My oscilloscope has only a 250Vpk input rating and can only reliably read up to about 100Vpk, so I would at least need a 1:10 probe. However, I don't feel happy connecting a £6 eBay probe to an expensive scope when magic smoke just loves to leak out. Is there a way to make it safer? I guess I could spend some more money on a high voltage probe, but that would cost me more than a new SMPS.


Also, I heard I should get an isolation transformer for the power supply so that I don't short anything out to earth. Is this a good idea? (The power supply is from a TV and does not use an earth pin.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...