Tuesday 21 February 2017

schematics - Where does this current source symbol come from?


There's an old symbol for a current source that's just two overlapping circles, reminiscent of a Venn diagram. There is more than one question on here with people asking what the symbol is, but I'm interested to know where it comes from; is it just an abstract symbol with no meaning behind it, or is it meant as a simplified drawing of something?



enter image description here Symbol d in the above image (taken from wikimedia commons) is the one I'm asking about. Symbol a is the one that I am most familiar with, and I've never seen symbols b, c, or e before.


I'm aware that the precise reasoning behind any given symbol doesn't really matter, but I simply have an interest in... "etymology", I guess you could call it? ...now I've gotten to thinking about circuit diagrams as a language, and studying them from a linguist's point of view....


That's for another website, though.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...