Tuesday 9 August 2016

power supply - Best way to filter DC-DC output noise



This question has rised due to the below issue, where a analog design board was scraped due to too much noise from switching regulators


eliminating-those-unwanted-op-amptia-outputs


the design which caused issue is as below


LT8471 based dual supply


my complete power budget is like below


Input : 12V 
Ouput
Rail Load(mA)
5 1040
-5 544

2.5 800
-2.5 800
3.3 16

this kind of power supply distribution and design can be done with a bunch of switching regulators, but my question how to completely eliminate the switching noise of dcdc switching regulators


in my previous design i tried using output filter caps of 0.1F, 0.01uF, 47uF, 4.7uF as suggested, but it did not help me to that extent


i am thinking of putting an LDO at the output of DCDC to reduce the noise is that proper solution ? or should i have to think of a pi filter ?, but they can create EMI issues to me(really not an expert in EMI avoidance. my senior suggested me to go for a inductor less modules which help in avoiding EMI issues)


as my application is an electro optic one, which involves in analog opamps i stick to have a output ripple voltage not more than few mV, so that it will not be difficult for me pick signals of low amplitudes around 30mV


i agree to moderators suggesting to take care in PCB design, but primarily i want to take care schematic wise as much as possible and then want to take care in PCB design


Kindly suggest me techniques/ tutorial to tackle noise in very low noise floor analog circuits, stressing on noise filters to be adopted at output of dcdc's, or should i have to scrap the idea of using a dcdc itself and go for using LDOs.



EDIT 1 : Addition of a CLC filter at dcdc output


with some suggestions of pi filters i have tried to create a CLC filter using components at my desk


L = 10uH and C being 4.7uF, 47uF, 0.1uF and 0.01uF(all 0603 SMD)


i did not get a 1nF but i was able to see noise suppressed to an extent, this set up is bare soldered and checked whether filter output is proper or not, i did not solder this on actual board, instead i took +/-5V from board and checked the filter output


please find the images below


With Out CLC Filter


With Out Filter


With Filter


With Filter


Please help me in reducing it much further, will a common mode choke or adding a 1nF can help me more ??



or an output LDO will reduce it much further ?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...