Sunday 14 August 2016

grounding - What determines whether a household device needs a grounded plug?


Why do some UL-listed household electronic devices have grounded plugs, even if they have no exposed metal on their case?


E.g., I have a plastic-encased laptop AC/DC power supply that requires a grounded plug, but my TV (which also must convert household AC to DC) does not have a grounded plug.


I thought the only purpose of a grounded plug was to catch a short that might energize some conductive part with which a user might come in contact. What are the other purposes? Or when are they indicated or required by regulators?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...