Tuesday 23 August 2016

triac - Sanity-check on snubber design


I keep frying resistors in the following optocoupler and triac snubber circuit, and I'm not sure whether to attribute this to bad design, or to faulty components.



  • There are no observable sparks at turn-on, but the 680-ohm resistor burns out within seconds.


  • I'm using 1/4W through-hole resistors.

  • The power triac gate triggers at <= 35mA.

  • The load is a ~50W fan that runs on mains power.


Switcher circuit


If my understanding is correct, the steady-state (ON) power dissipation of the 680-ohm resistor should be less than 0.1W.


If you agree that my design is reasonable, then what component do you suspect is faulty, and why?


I also tried the following circuit, but again, the 680-ohm resistor smoked when I put the optocoupler in the ON state: enter image description here



Answer



I suggest you read TI app note SLUP100, "Snubber Design" by Philip C. Todd for some good background on snubber design.



When the triac is on, the dissipation through the snubbers will be low since they are 'shorted' by the triac.


When the triac is off, load current is going to try and flow through both of your snubber circuits, and the resistors are going to see power dissipation.


Are you absolutely sure that the triac is firing each cycle?


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI&#39;s cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...