Wednesday 24 August 2016

Need help understanding DALI circuit and 220 VAC protection


I am making a circuit to interface my MCU with a DALI bus. My basic circuit works and I am able to communicate on DALI bus. It looks like this:


working dali ckt


I fully understand the above circuit.


After my base circuit was done, I found out that DALI bus should be protected against accidental 220 VAC connection on the DALI bus. I have no clue how to proceed on this. I found a document online which gives this circuit but doesn't explain anything about it:


protected circuit


Can you please help me understand how this circuit works in following conditions:



a) What happens when a data packet is received on the bus in working voltage range (16 V typical)?


b) What happens when the MCU tries to send a data packet in working voltage range (16 V typical)?


c) What changes when there is 220 VAC on DALI bus? How does this circuit work to prevent a failure in this situation?


Thanks




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...