Saturday 16 April 2016

transistors - S8050 D331 base resistor calculation


I was trying a basic transistor circuit to understand transistors (LED on the collector without a base limiting resistor ).


Now on to the next step, to know where and when to put what values of resistors so that the photoresistor and S8050 D331 transistor I have together work as a dark detector.


I need to explain to myself why the circuit does not work if the photoresistor or the load or the extra base resistor are not in their exact positions.


I was referring to http://www.petervis.com/GCSE_Design_and_Technology_Electronic_Products/Transistor_Bias_Calculator/Transistor_Bias_Calculator.html and i have trouble finding the values and calculating them.


Q1: is this the only way to go about it? Suppose a middle school kid is doing this for a science project, how does the kid understand which resistor to put where?


Q2: Assuming this is the only way - for S8050 D331. How do I decipher which values to use in the calculator above? http://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=52916



schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


The resistance of photoresistor is unknown (am using a snap circuits kit - part 6SCRP).


Q3: If i move the photoresistor to the left of the voltage divider and the 5.1K resistor to the right, OR if i put the load on collector the circuit does not work. It works perfectly when the potentiometer is at one of the extremes (I guess it is high).


I want to understand with calculations, how things work.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...