Sunday 24 April 2016

power supply - Replacing a 5V female barrel connector on USB hub with female USB micro


Is it possible (and relatively easy) to replace a 5 V power plug (barrel connector) on a USB hub with a standard USB Micro power-only female? If so, is there anything special (besides hooking up the +5 V and GND connections)?



I have been trying to find some information about it, but I haven't been able to. I keep reading stuff about using a 200Ω resistor between pins 2 and 3, but that is for making a custom plug (the USB micro male). Would that also apply to the female?


I'm very much a beginner when it comes to this kind of stuff. I can handle a soldering iron, but I'm quite new to actual electrical engineering concepts.


Some clarification (based on the comments):



  • This is to swap out the barrel connector for the power to the USB hub - nothing to do with the actual USB ports that will be linked.

  • The USB hub is a Belkin F5U404, which makes for a killer little hub for the Raspberry Pi Zero. Problem is the power plug was faulty (if I wiggle it barely it powers off) and quite frankly, when I got half a dozen Pi Zeros, I would like to be able to plug them into any phone charger and not carry around the power cord.

  • I picked up some USB Micro Female connectors from Adafruit

  • The standard power supply for the USB Hub is 5 V / 2600 mA - I'm hoping my 2000 or 2500 mA USB plugs will be sufficient.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...