Monday 4 November 2019

rf - what are tuning dots and how to effectively use them


I've come across some template designs that have tuning dots included for RF matching. Unfortunately they are using a different dielectric than I am.


What are the basic principles of tuning dots (theoretical to purely mathematical would be great), and how do I then change their design to fit my own boards specifications?


NOTE- tuning dots are filled in the end design, this is merely how my importer displays them


tuning dots in all their glory blurry=better picture of the tuning dots



Answer



Their purpose is to provide a means of adding variable length stubs for impedance matching. A wire bond can be connected from the bondable gold surface of the microstrip center trace to the pad. The bond wire will have an inductance value based upon bond height/length and wire thickness; the bond pad will have a known capacitance based upon the substrate dielectric and the pad geometry.


A very brief mention of their use can be found here. Additionally, their use is discussed at Microwaves101, where they are called "chicken dots".


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...