Thursday 14 November 2019

arduino - Equivalent of STP16C596 in DIP package for through-mount




I’m trying to add a large number of RGB LEDs (70, so 210 outputs) in a fairly small space (basically a keyboard, although it’s a bit bigger than most).


I read on this tutorial and elsewhere about shift registers, and to me the STP16C596 seems particularly good because a) it will drive 16 outputs and b) it obviates the need for resistors because it provides a constant current.


However, this part is obsolete it would seem and unavailable. What’s a good alternative that I will still be able to hand-solder?


This question suggests using an ‘SCT2026’, but the original link is dead, and I get no result on Mouser or Digikey for that part.


Notes


Apologies if any of my terminology is not right – I’m new to this!


I would certainly consider alternative approaches to this problem if there are any. From what I can see, a matrix-based or charlieplexing approach would be



Answer



I use the STP16CP05 for shift-register type environments (as an SOIC chip - not through hole, but easy to hand solder anyway).



For more complex environments requiring PWM I use the I2C controlled TLC59116. I use it as a TSSOP, but I believe it's available as PDIP.


Both are LED drivers and control up to 16 LEDs each.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...