Monday 2 September 2019

voltage - What makes the buzzing sound when touching an audio line?


I recently built an audio amplifier based on the LM386. When I touch one of the input signals with my finger, I can hear a buzzing sound on the output. I checked with the oscilloscope, and there appears to be some kind of voltage signal on my hand with respect to the amplifier's ground. What is this voltage? By what theoretical principle can I understand this?



Answer



Your body becomes connected to the circuit. Probably, capacitively coupled through an equivalent of about 100pF. Then, several things can happen:




  • Extra capacitance makes your amplifier oscillate.





  • Your body acts picks up 50/60Hz interference from power lines (aka "60Hz hum") and introduces it into your amplifier. To see this, poke an oscilloscope probe at yourself and observe the signal.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...