Wednesday 27 June 2018

pic - Picking a microcontroller


I am looking to move away from arduino, and start some projects using more feature-rich microcontrollers. I have been looking at the PIC18F4550 for its feature set, but I am shying away from the PIC products, mostly because I don't have a programmer, and the picKIT is a bit pricey ($50 for picKIT II, $70 for picKIT III). I haven't done as much research into AVR offerings, but I think I may want to. Here's what I'm looking for:



  1. 32+ Digital I/O pins

  2. Programmable with minimal external hardware. Bonus points if I can leverage the usb chip on an arduino dev board, or my ftdi-usb cable to program it on the cheap.


  3. Built in USB. This is one of the reasons I really was leaning toward the 18F4550. Is there a comparable AVR chip that has built in USB capabilities?

  4. Good online resources- I would like to learn straight assembly, and it would be good if there were good resources online for learning assembly for my platform without having to read a 500 page datasheet.

  5. Through hole mounting.

  6. Minimal external circuitry to get running. An internal oscillator would be cool for fast prototyping, but I have no problem throwing a crystal in if I have to.


Anybody have any recommendations one way or the other?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...