Monday 11 June 2018

How does an electronic caliper work?


How do these electronic calipers work?:



Caliper


I know they work by measuring the capacitance of the running track, somehow. But how do they use capacitance to measure distances - is it a linear relationship of capacitance to distance, or is there something else going on? These are really accurate - specification of ±0.02mm from 0-100mm, and the resolution is down to 0.01mm. I'm also surprised at how these can meet the specifications at the very low price point - I picked up mine for £8 and tried it against a few common objects I knew the dimensions of, and it checks out.



Answer



Its position to capacitance ratio to frequency ratio to value conversion. The key is using unevenly patterned conductors in proximity of two capacitors. The circuit has slow response, but works remarkably as caliper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...