Tuesday 15 November 2016

soldering - Bismuth or Indium solder - how do they compare?


In my previous question I focused on lead-based solder alloys (see Best solder wire - Sn63Pb37 vs Sn60Pb40 vs ...?).


Some of you brought new exciting solder alloys to my attention. The two most promising types contain either Bismuth or Indium.


Some questions:




  • How do they compare to each other on properties like:




    • wetting of pads and pins

    • interaction with fluxes

    • joint strength - brittleness (is this directly related to the "tensile strength (PSI)" column in the table below? Please enlighten me.)

    • price

    • ...




  • How do they compare to standard solder alloys, like Sn60Pb40?





  • Any drawbacks?




  • Most of them are sold without flux core. Wouldn't that make the solder process very difficult?




  • What kind of flux should one use with Bismuth and/or Indium based solders?







Note:


Perhaps the following table might be of help:


enter image description here


This table comes from "Indium Corporation".




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...