Monday 14 November 2016

Step up converter - voltage drop on load


I decided to build step up regulator to power DHT22 (temperature sensor) from two AA bateries. The DHT22 needs 3V (or 3.3V acording to some datasheets) for operation.


I picked up MCP1625 (from Microchip datasheet here) step up regulator because it can accept low voltage and keeps high efficiency.


I used reference design


design



  • According to datasheet I used 10uF for input filtering.


  • I used little smaller resistor on feedback voltage divider resulting in 3.25 V output. Which should be fine.

  • I used two alkaline batteries with voltage 2.8 V

  • For second test I used Nimhd Eneoloop batteries 2.5 V.


Now, my problem is this:



  • Without load, I get on output 3.25 V

  • With only small load 3mA I see drop to 2.98V. At this point the current on input is 4.62mA, voltage is 2.8V (no drop here)

  • I did test with resistor as load to test whether batteries are able to provide more current then its taken by converter. They are capable to deliver more than 10mA.



My question is why my regulator is not taking more current from batteries?




  • Could it be caused by bad PCB design? (For example to thin lines for Vn, Vout)




  • Could it be caused by sloppy soldering? (My first SMD soldering project)




  • Something else?





Any advise would be appreciated.


Than you.


Unfortunately, I cant post my PCB because of restriction for new users and two links in post :-(.


List of components



  • L Ferrocore DLG-0403-4R7 (4.7uH, 1.15A, 110mOhm)

  • Cin, Cout Samsung MLCC, 10uF, 6.3V, X7R (CL21B106KQQNNNE)

  • Rs 1.6MOhm 5%, 1MOhm 1%



EDIT 2016-05-25 I fixed link to datasheet, editet inductor specs, PCB and photo in comments.



Answer



Did you clean the board properly using IPA for example ? Flux or even flux remover residue left between the pins could disturb the IC stability or accuracy. As your feedback loop is using very high resistance values, it will be very sensitive to any parasitic effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...