Tuesday 22 November 2016

DC / AC Inverter Principle of Operation


I am kinda new in power electronics and I have a task at hand that requires assistance.


I have an assignment to build a SMPS. My prof gave me a breakdown that once I rectify the Input from mains AC (230V rms), 50Hz to a DC (300V), I need to channel the output through a DC / AC Inverter. I have been searching the net for a pretty beginner level decent explanation on the principle of operation but I got confused along the way. I have come across the fundamentals of the SMPS Flyback Converter. Is that a better option to use instead?



Here is the block diagram from my prof


Rectify from Mains -> DC/AC Inverter -> Transformer -> Rectify -> 2 outputs , (12V, 5A), Thanks in advance



Answer



WARNING - projects like this are dangerous to beginners and the foolish


Power integrations publish many designs like this one: -


enter image description here


OK it's a single 24V DC output but the transformer can be re-wound (yes nearly all these designs require a hand wound transformer) for two secondaries of 12V each.


Premier Magnetics (who supply the pre-wound transformers) are also quite keen to supply design notes that cover flyback applications and designs. Designs include power integrations, TI and fairchild chips and look good but I'm not a novice and there may be several things that can confuse a beginner. Here's a premier magnetic design that also uses the top-switch chip: -


enter image description here


I would certainly consider either of these two companys' offerings. Here's another one that is closer to your requirements: -



enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...