Saturday 12 November 2016

noise - Accelerometer double integration error


I wanted to use an accelerometer or IMU to measure speed and displacement over a period of about 1 minute or 400m. From this answer I found at stackoverflow, the error propagates at a rate of \$t^2\$ (without considering the rotation), so \$60^2 = 3600\$.


The noise density of the ADXL335 accelerometer is about \$200 μg / \sqrt{Hz}\$, so @500Hz we get $$\dfrac{200}{\sqrt{500}} = 87.67 μg\ (\mathrm{or}\ \ 87.67 \times 10^{-6} m/s^2)$$


Getting the error over the 60 seconds: \$87.67 \times 10^{-6} \times 3600 = 0.32m\$.


This looks suspiciously optimistic, Am I correct, or am I doing bad calculations?



Answer



I have tried to do this, with an iPhone’s accelerometer/gyroscope, and can empirically tell you there will be many orders of magnitude more error than that.


Your statement “without considering rotation” is an important one, as this is a huge factor. One of your difficulties will be removing the gravity vector from the integration. If the accelerometer is tilted even slightly, gravity will introduce a large error in each axis.


In my experiment, I was trying to make an iPhone into a 3D cursor a user can wave around in their hand for 3D modelling. It would drift off in random directions at a rate of centimetres per second. Lots of low pass filtering helped this a bit, but it was still way off.


My point is, even if your accelerometer has low noise, in the real world this is a very difficult problem to solve as there are many other sources of ‘noise’.



I recommend you go buy a commercially produced IMU if you want any chance of achieving this over 400m. I will be impressed if you can make an accelerometer work alone, over a distance of 400m with less than ±1km error.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...