Friday 11 November 2016

usb otg - USB OTG, some questions



I am attempting a project with USB OTG functionality. I've read quite a number of documents already but there is some contradicting information out there, so I want to find out if anyone can shed some light on a couple of things.


First some background on what I aim to achieve. I want to design a low cost device that needs some form of diagnostics interface. At the moment the idea is to have a microAB USB port which can be used to either connect to a PC, or to a custom bluetooth module(powered by the device) to connect to a smartphone for instance, the device acting as the OTG host in the latter case.


My questions are:


Is this the right type of application for USB OTG?


What is the maximum amount of current a OTG host may supply, and/or a OTG peripheral may consume? I've read a couple of places that this is only 8mA, but the USB OTG supplement to the USB2.0 spec states 8mA to 5000mA. I am more inclined to believe this spec, but I just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding something.


Lastly, can any USB pheripheral only device be connected to a OTG host provided that the driver is available, or do I need a OTG specific device.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...