Wednesday 14 September 2016

Simple current limiting regulator


I’m currently getting ready for an Electronic Systems Engineering exam, and going through past paper questions.


I need help with a few questions regarding the following current limited regulator. enter image description here The questions:




  1. Find the zener voltage of Dz if the required regulated output is 12V.

  2. Calculate the value of R for safe operation if the input voltage is 15V and the power rating of Dz is 0.5W.


My answers: enter image description here


My questions to you:



  1. Have I approached the first question correctly? Can you please confirm my answer?

  2. In the second question: what is a “safe” current for the zener? Of course it should be less than the maximum current found from its power rating. But how much less? (I just randomly assumed 30mA)




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...