Saturday 24 September 2016

Does AC Power have Polarity?


When I run 24VAC into a full wave bridge rectifier followed by a 220uF electrolytic capacitor to turn it into ~32VDC, the source has two wires. Does it matter in what order I connect the AC wires to the input to the bridge rectifier? If so how do I determine which wire goes where? I suspect that it's totally symmetric on the input side, but I'm am full of doubt when it comes to AC. Sorry if this is just a really dumb question.



Answer




When you're looking at an AC source in isolation such as in your question, indeed there's no polarity and you can connect the wires either way round.


When combining two or more AC sources in series or parallel, the relative phasing is very important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...