Wednesday 9 March 2016

batteries - How to create automatic dual battery changeover/switching circuit for uninterruptible power?


I've search for a solution to my problem both on this site and on Google but I did not find a complete and adequate response.


I need a circuit that switches two 12v sources (one that comes from a lead-acid battery powered by a solar panel and the other source comes from the output of a 220-12v switching power supply) without the final power output being interrupted during switching (this is very important!).


Notes:
- The final power output will be used to power 12v devices (30 Ampere maximum).
- The sources voltage range is 11-14.7v


How can I switch between two 12V sources?



Answer




As Olin suggested diodes is the best way to join two supplies. However, if the voltage drop is more than you can tolerate perhaps a more active design would be more to your liking.


enter image description here


The LM5050 and MOSFET combination generate "ideal"ish diodes.


If you need to actually turn off the individual supplies, I'd use appropriately sized relays before that and sequence them so they both turn on before one turns off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...