Sunday 13 March 2016

Feeding 12V Pulse into Microcontroller 5V - Use a Transistor?


I have a 12V Tachometer Pulse Signal From an ignition unit(From the data sheet)...I would like to feed this pulse into a micro-controller to output the speed to a LCD display. I don't have a scope to put on the 12v signal, but I did put it on a multimeter and the frequency matches what I was expecting. Albeit, the signal is a bit jumpy.


What's the right way to connect this pulse into MCU? Optoisolator?


Is this a safe way to connect the 12v Pulse into the MCU? Should I use a voltage divider on the pulse?


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...