Saturday 12 March 2016

Grounding the (unused) power layer of a 4-layer PCB


I'm developing a new PCB and I realized that all my power connections are on one side of the board, easily connected with a wide trace. So, I don't really need the inner power layer of the board. I do need an inner ground, though, since the ground connections are just all over the place. I don't have the option to order a 3-layer board from my manufacturer, so I'm stuck with a 4-layer board with internal power and ground.



Since I'm not using the power layer, should it be grounded? I'm thinking of grounding it at a single point there the power enters the board.



Answer



If you don't need the second inner layer, then grounding it to match the potential of the other inner layer is a perfectly acceptable idea.


Instead of grounding it at a single point, you should strongly consider "stitching" it using vias in as many places as make sense, to maintain the layers at the same potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...