Tuesday 16 February 2016

soldering - Double side PCB with solder via?


Normally vias are made with through hole plating. In the past they used to make vias by soldering a piece of wire to connect the top and bottom layers (like a short piece of 24 gauge copper wire). Could the same be done with solder?


Question: Can a VIA in a double sided PCB be connected with solder? Is there any precedent for such?



Answer



I don't see why not, but I think you will find that it's easier to assemble with wire. The trouble I suspect is heating both sides of the board simultaneously such that you can get the solder to flow on both sides, then overcoming the surface tension of the solder and getting it to go through the hole. That, and solder is more expensive than wire.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...